Please read the scenario below, and then answer the questions that follow in a 3-page analysis. The questions will guide your analysis of the situation, but they will need to be presented as part of a report to your manager on ethical research practices and procedures when human participants are involved.
University Community Hospital has recently been criticized for its less-than-perfect patient care. In an attempt to curb negative implications, the administrators at the hospital decided that it was time to review their healthcare policies and practices using an analytical research study. Understanding the importance of ethical practices when conducting scientific research, the administrators reviewed the types of research to be conducted (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods). They also realized that the scientific community expects researchers to adhere to ethical and scientific guidelines when collecting and analyzing data. In addition, the reporting function needs to be completed with integrity. Other concerns are to not cause harm to participants in the study and to maintain their confidentiality. Obtaining informed consent and the necessary approval and accurately reporting the findings are also part of the ethical healthcare research practices.
For this report, incorporate the following questions:
- When you involve human participants in any scientific research, what obligations do you have?
- What are the four basic ethical principles guiding research?
- What steps need to be taken before conducting a study?
- What needs to be communicated to participants when starting and conducting a research study?
- What principles should you consider when reporting and sharing the results of your research?
- Unethical conduct can harm vulnerable groups through what?
- What does the Nuremberg Code describe?
- The Declaration of Helsinki addresses what recommendations?
- What is true about the Tuskegee syphilis study?
- What is true about the Belmont Report of 1979?
- What will not enhance the integrity of a research study?
Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following:
- Title page: Remember the running head. The title should be in all capitals.
- Length: 3 pages minimum
- Abstract: This is a summary of your paper, not an introduction. Begin writing in third person.
- Body: This begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The typeface should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics, except as required for APA-level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 5 pages. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged.
- Reference page: References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hanging indent, italics, and uppercase and lowercase usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation.