Leadership and Organizational Performance: Is It Essential in Healthcare Systems Improvement?
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read the following:
- Chapters 1 and 2 in our textbook.
- Leadership and Organizational Performance: Is It Essential in Healthcare Systems Improvement?
- Does Leadership Effectiveness Correlate with Leadership Styles in Healthcare Executives of Iran University of Medical Sciences.
- Drivers and Barriers in the Practice of Health-Specific Leadership: A Qualitative Study in Healthcare.
- Medical Leadership: Boon or Barrier to Organizational Performance?
Health care organizations are constantly evolving to meet industry and patient expectations. Leadership should inspire and provide a vision regarding expectations, specifically what the organization is trying to achieve in terms of positive health care outcomes for their patients. As a leader in the health care delivery system it is vitally important to communicate a clear and concise vision. However, it is also important for leadership to be flexible and demonstrate the ability to make necessary adjustments; in other words, leaders must possess the ability to change their leadership styles as situations within and outside of the industry evolve. Management within the health care delivery system will provide structure, implement processes, and ensure that materials are provided for their staff to perform at an optimal level. Managers need to provide concise and clear instructions as they are tasked with ensuring that industry standards are maintained; therefore, managers should possess exceptional communication skills.
In this discussion, you will evaluate leadership roles and management responsibilities in a health care setting. In your initial post, address the following:
- Describe the differences between a manager and a leader, including the functional activities of each role in the health care environment.
- Discuss the key leadership traits fundamental for health care organizational effectiveness.
- Explain what it takes to be an effective and, ultimately, a successful leader or manager.
- Finally, in light of health care reforms, an ever-changing economy, and an increased need for services, describe two pressing barriers and challenges associated with health care leadership.
Your initial post must be at least 250 words and must use at least one credible source to support your discussion content. The supporting resource can be one of the required or recommended resources provided in this course. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. All referenced materials must include citations and references in APA format. Please see directions for including APA Style elements on these Writing Center pages: APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) and Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.).