Identify the ethical dilemmas
Last year, Mark and Jason started a business called Poker4u, based in the British Virgin Islands, through which they run a gambling website called Poker4u.com. For a fee, visitors to the website can play poker and other card games against players from around the world. Game winners earn cash prizes. Poker4u accepts all major credit cards. This website has become very popular with players from across the globe and, as a result, Poker4u has become a very profitable business.
Before playing on Poker4u.com, all players must sign a document stating that they are over 18 years of age and agreeing to assume full responsibility for their debts incurred while playing on the site. Many adults have visited this website, played cards and have lost thousands of dollars. However, despite warnings on the site to discourage underage players, Alan, a 14 year old in Cincinnati, Ohio visited this website and used his father’s credit card to play and lost $20,000. In addition, Roger, a 12 year old in Thailand, and Jacob, a 16 year old in Australia, committed similar offenses. The website is now demanding full payment from Alan, Roger and Jacob and each of their parents.
1) Identify the ethical dilemmas
2) Evaluate who are the stakeholders in this scenario.
3) What are the alternative courses of action. Please discuss the pros and cons of each possible course of action. Make sure you include how the stakeholders will be impacted by the various solutions you are proposing.
4) Discuss the ethical schools of thought in evaluating your decision.
5) Recommend a decision. Make sure to provide the rationale for your decision.