Discussion 2: NPOs and Social Change
Introduction to the Nonprofit Sector
DUE THURSDAY BY 8PM NEW YORK TIME 1 PAGE APA FORMAT WITH IN-TEXT CITATIONS AND REFERENCES TO UPLOADED RESOURCES AND LINK
Many NPOs are charities or service organizations that have clear connections to positive social change. The Red Cross is a humanitarian organization that protects lives and provides medical services to people around the world. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation provides health care and economic services to the poor. In this final week of the course, take a moment to reflect on how the NPO you created for your Final Project might contribute to positive social change. Consider also the role you might like to assume as an agent of social change.
To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on how nonprofit organizations contribute to positive social change.
• Consider how Save Our Sons Inc. might contribute to positive social change.
• Consider the role you might like to take as an agent of social change.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day Thursday 8PM New York Time submit a brief summary of the Save Our Sons Inc.mission. Include your thoughts about how Save Our Sons Inc. might contribute to positive social change and how it might facilitate this.
Be sure to support your postings with specific references to the Learning Resources.
- Article: Abzug, R. (2007). Wishful thinking about nonprofits. Society, 44(3), 45–47.
Use the Academic Search Premier database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 23825354
- Article: Farruggia, G. (2007). How is the nonprofit sector changing? Futures Research Quarterly 23(1), 5–16.
Use the Academic Search Premier database, and search using the article’s Accession Number: 27213976
- Introduction to Save Our Sons Inc. (2009). Retrieved May 13th, 2015, from Save Our Sons Inc: http://www.saveoursons.webs.com/
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 20 minutes.