how does the author describe their current view of the United States, its taxation system, job opportunities, freedom of religion, and governmental checks and balances?
Please answer the following questions by posting your answers below. Respond to each of the following questions with a few sentences per answer. Your analysis should be well thought out, finely edited, and informative. Think of this as weekly practice for your examination writing. Grading rubric found in upper right-hand corner of this assignment by clicking the “three dots.”
Chapter 5: (20 points with standard rubric)
1) By reading the Italian experience of migration, in what ways did the Italian community retain their culture, and in what ways did they adopt an Italian-American ethnicity? Discuss.
2) The Greeks, Jews, and Armenians are called the diaspora people throughout history, migrating away from their homelands due to various factors and pressures around them. Focusing on the Greeks and Armenians from this chapter, what events prompted these people to rethink their circumstances? Once they decided to migrate, did they retain their culture and heritage within their community?
3) European immigrants had to live in a duality, between Old World traditions and their New World surroundings. In what ways did these people have to redefine their ethnic identities?
Primary Source Mini-Assignment: (10 points for participation/analysis)
After reading the PDF file titled “Crossroads to be Faced,” a primary source memoir of an individual who is calling out to the world to consider whether to come to the United States, please answer the following questions. Answers do not have to be large paragraphs for these questions, however must analyze and answer the questions meaningfully.
1) How does the author describe the “Old Country,” the way of life, taxation, forms government, overall lifestyle, etc.?
2) In contrast, how does the author describe their current view of the United States, its taxation system, job opportunities, freedom of religion, and governmental checks and balances?
3) After reading this excerpt, do you feel that the author truly believes their own words and is writing from overflowing patriotism, or is perhaps writing for a newspaper/journal of some sort to spread U.S. exceptionalism throughout the world as propaganda? Essentially, do you believe this is a personal memoir or a promotional public piece?
Note: Please use evidence from at least TWO articles, primary sources, or videos posted in this week’s Canvas module to supplement your answers. Two sources for all questions may be used, not necessarily two per question. Please either bold or cite your sources within your answers!