https://discountwriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/website-1-e1619991576881.png 0 0 Sarah Kaelo https://discountwriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/website-1-e1619991576881.png Sarah Kaelo2021-05-17 14:00:442021-05-17 14:00:44Explain what sociologists mean when they say that identities are socially constructed.
Explain what sociologists mean when they say that identities are socially constructed.
NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED WITHIN 24 HOURS>>>>>>>
THIS ASSIGNMENT IS TO WRITE A RESPONSE TO THIS POST!!
- “Explain what sociologists mean when they say that identities are socially constructed. Select a particular racial or gender identity, and give an example of a characteristic of that identity that is socially constructed (rather than based on any biological truth)
- When sociologist say that identities are socially constructed they’re saying that it’s a distinction that has been placed on us by society. The racial identity that I decided to give an example of is the Black Americans. A “characteristic” or stereotype that has been placed among Black Americans is that they are rude and loud. This is obviously a stereotype that is socially constructed because how can you just look at someone and assume that they are rude and loud.
- Stratification refers to the hierarchical ranking of individuals within a given group (Newman 2016). Describe the stratification system of either race or gender (use the identity you selected above) and explain how this hierarchical ranking is a social construction rather than based on biology.
- With racial inequality in play Black Americans are on a low scale of the stratification system. Racial inequality is a huge ongoing problem in society today. From slavery to the now public hate crimes against Black Americans it’s a big problem that still plays a big role in society.
- Chapter 1 in your text argues that what is at stake with these social identities is power and privilege. Using either race or gender, describe how one of the theories of inequality discussed in Chapter 1 (structural-functionalism or conflict theory) would explain why some groups within the identity experience inequalities.
- Structural-functionalism is basically how society works together in order to function as one (Newman 2016). With that being said this theory suggest that in order to make society function properly there has to be some inequalities to be just. It suggest that some people in the world should be rich, some poor, some unfair, and even some criminals to contribute to society for it to function the way that it is functioning. “
PLEASE WRITE A RESPONSE TO THIS DISCUSSION POST….. 100-200 words