QUESTION 1. After reading the case, go back to paragraph 1. Your assignment is, based on the job description, to develop OBJECTIVES for the position listed. Remember that SMART objectives are specific, measurable, attainable, reliable and timely. Objectives always begin with a “verb”.
Accountabilities, Objectives, and Standards at Disney
Below is an actual job description for a purchasing and procurement internship position that was available at Disney Consumer Products /
Studios. Based on the information in the job description, create accountabilities, objectives, and standards for this position.
Graduate Associate, Purchasing & Procurement (Disney Consumer Products/Studios)
- Provide analytical support for projects impacting business units, specifically targeting Disney Consumer Products & Studios.
- Survey current pricing models and develop new approaches to pricing/buying various products and services that yield creative and business advantage.
- Support the continuing efforts to increase the percentage of spend influenced, specifically as it relates to business units where we have had only a minor impact.
- Assist in the development of key stakeholder lists and savings opportunities regarding existing contracts.
- Assist in developing overall Purchasing & Procurement strategy for partnering with business units, specifically targeting Disney Consumer Products & Studios.
The Walt Disney Company is a diversified, international family entertainment and media company with 2016 annual revenues of US$55.63 billion. Its operations include theme parks and resorts, filmed entertainment, including motion pictures and
television shows, home video and DVD products, records, broadcast and cable networks, Internet and direct marketing, consumer products, radio and television stations, theatrical productions, publishing activities, and professional sports enterprises.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to conceptualize issues and problems and develop hypotheses around appropriate responses.
- Intellectual curiosity and professional commitment to excellence.
- Superior analytical skills defined by an ability to identify and rearticulate critical aspects of a business situation from a large data pool (both qualitative and quantitative).
- Superior Microsoft Excel modeling skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build relationships.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, meanwhile retaining focus on project deliverables and strategic priorities.
This will be an opportunity for an MBA intern to utilize project management skills he or she has learned in the classroom. The intern will be faced with difficult and/or skeptical clients and will learn how to work with them. This will also be an opportunity for those individuals who have not experienced working in Corporate America, and for those that have had some experience, to further their learnings. The intern will gain experience from working in the Media and Entertainment industry. Through these various experiences, we hope the intern will find value in the internship we are offering.