- Describe the value and components of a needs assessment used to determine the training requirements of an organization
- Describe adult learning principles
- Explain the importance of developing learning activities
- Compare and contrast methods of experiential learning
- Describe the importance of creating Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-oriented (SMART) objectives for a training plan
Reading and Resources
Textbook: Managing Human Resources, Section 7.1: The Scope of Training and Section 7.2: Phase 1: Conducting the Needs Assessment
Click the Managing Human Resources e-text link in this module to access this resource.
Website: Society for Human Resource Management
Review the website of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 275,000 members in over 140 countries, SHRM serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Consistent with its role in promoting professionalism in the HR field, SHRM’s intent is to capture and codify the threshold customs, procedures, and practices of our most effective practitioners in HRM. Purchase your student membership to the SHRM via their website. You will need to access SHRM resources in order to complete assignments in this course, starting in this module.
Video: Goal Setting
Review this resource on SMART goals. Students will need to use their SNHU login information to access this resource.
We Learn by Doing, so Simulations that Let Us Experience Scenarios Help Us Learn and Remember Better. Enter Virtual Reality Training
This article describes the role of Virtual Reality Training (VRT) in the workplace citing examples of VRT at Walmart, Honeywell and Pima County Sheriff’s Department. This resource supports the module discussion.
Key Trends Shaping the Future of Learning and Development
Review this resource for information about key trends in learning. This resource supports the module discussion.