Skill(s) Being Assessed: Problem Solving – Data Analysis (Quantitative Communication)
Criteria for Success: In this assignment, you will:
- Accurately summarize the article including ALL of the following:
- Topic – what real-world problem does it address?
- Date of publication/study.
- Audience for the article.
- Why the article was written.
- Explain which categories of descriptive statistics are used in the study and how they are used to communicate the information found in the study and/or the conclusions/solutions posed. Make connections to the real-world problem the article is addressing.
- Describe several connections, using specific examples, between the information presented/the problem and its larger impact to the world/your major/current job/future career goal.
- Recommend several highly relevant and valid solutions based on the mathematical and visual data provided in the article.
- Create an accurate visual for the data that helps communicate a story/solution to the audience. The visual uses appropriate size, text, color, and labels.
- Communicate recommended solutions and benefits using language and visuals customized to the purpose and audience. Explain how the language, purpose, and visuals are effective for the selected audience.
What to Submit / Deliverables: The assignment includes an application to a professional conference in two parts:
- A Conference Application on Data-Driven Decision Making with questions to complete. Download the Week 9 Assignment Template [DOCX].
- A PowerPoint presentation.
What is the value of doing this assignment? This assignment gives you the opportunity to apply the statistical concepts and methods you have learned throughout the course to a current real-world problem. You will continue to practice your problem-solving skill through analysis of data—examining how others use descriptive statistics, and creating your own mathematical visuals in order to analyze and draw conclusions based on this data.
You will also practice taking initiative in putting together a conference application on the problem identified and sharing your findings with a specific audience. This will additionally help you practice communicating effectively—a skill you can use in your personal and professional lives every day.
As you work to complete this assignment, you will continue to practice results-driven strategies. You will have the opportunity to engage in a statistical process while working toward a specific goal, use measurement to report results, and consider the quality and integrity of data and the ways it can be used to effectively communicate solutions.